Perth – ‘lively bars, breathtaking beaches’.
The capital city of Western Australia and named as the sunniest city in the world, Perth provides the perfect meeting point between nature and culture.
Perth is home to a impressive 19 beautiful beaches, botanical gardens, bush walking trails, a wine region and marine parks. All with an average of 8 hours of sunshine every day of the year!
Head into the centre of Perth and you’ll be greeted with Kings Park and Botanic Garden, the only place in Australia to experience the bush in the city. Perched high on Mount Eliza, here you can enjoy lushous walks and trails with stunning views of the city, the Swan and Canning rivers, Darling Range and beyond – all housed within the biggest inner city park in the world! There is free parking available whilst you are visiting the park.
The vibrant city of Fremantle is located only 30 minutes drive south of Perth and one worth visiting if you have time. With an array of casual cafes, lively bars and delicious restaurants, you will be spoilt for choice on where to dine in Fremantle.
If you’re visiting Fremantle (Freo to the locals) over a weekend then get yourself down to the Fremantle Markets. The markets were built in 1897 and are one of the city’s most popular landmarks. Housed in an historic, heritage-listed building, Fremantle markets have become the most famous market in Western Australia. Expect to find everything from deliciously baked food to fresh fruit and produce to independent wares from local designers and artists. It’s a great place to stock up on food for when you plan to dine alfresco in the camper.
If you’re looking for something offshore, why not head to Penguin Island? Penguin Island is a 12.5 hectare island just 45 minutes south of Perth. Just drive to the ferry portal, park up and jump on the the 5 minute ferry that takes you to the island (remember to not leave any valuables in the car). It is home to a colony of approximately 1,200 little penguins, the largest population of the birds in Western Australia! Penguin Island is home to other wildlife also (don’t let the name fool you!) and there is an array of wildlife based activities to keep you occupied on this island, from a glass bottom boat tour to swimming with wild dolphins. More information on how to get to Penguin Island can be found here.
With 19 beaches to choose from, we can forgive you from being a little overwhelmed when it comes to deciding where to spend your 8 hours of sunlight each day. We suggest heading to either Cottesloe Beach, The Basin at Rottnest Island (via a ferry to Rottnest Island) or Mettams Pool, known as the best place on Perth’s coastline to go snorkelling. Mettams Pool is only accessible by car, camper or taxi and no public transport is available, so it’s a great place to explore in your campervan.
Perth enjoys a Mediterranean climate with warm, sunny weather for most of the year. During summer (December to February) rain is unusual but winter (June to August) can bring downpours of rain and thunderstorms. Even during winter, Perth still enjoys plenty of warm sunshine. Perth’s climate is extremely sunny, with around 3,200 hours of sunshine annually, this is higher than any other major Australian city. Summer temperatures reach highs of 21°C and it has been known to reach over 40°C. Winter temperatures aren’t too bad either, with daily highs of around 19°C and lows reaching 10°C.
If this has got you feeling inspired to get out on the road, get in touch and find out the best possible deals on campervan rentals! We supply vehicles of all types and budgets to the whole of Australia, including Perth.
- Kingsway Tourist Park – Nearby to beaches, water playground, shopping, restaurants and easy access to the CBD
- Swan Valley Tourist Park – amongst the vineyards and historic areas in the South East of Perth
- Perth Central Caravan park – close to the city, airport and river
- Fremantle Village Caravan Park – located only 3kms from the heart of Fremantle and only a half hour drive from Perth
- Karrinyup Waters Resort – one of Perth’s largest pool areas including heated lap pool, 25 meter tropical pool and hot spa
- Balthazar Bar Restaurant – excellent tasting menu and wine bar
- C Restaurant – beautiful food with an even more beautiful view
- P’tite Ardoise Bistro – stunning French bistro
- Le Vietnam – a great Asian cheap eat, popular with the locals
- Grand Lane Fish House – It’s hidden gem tucked away at the bottom of an alleyway so isn’t the easiest place to find, but trust us, it’s worth the search!
- Piggy Food Co – great vibes and great food served takeaway style in Fremantle
- Moore & Moore – artisan coffee in Fremantle
- The Loft Cafe – artisan coffee in Fremantle