Townsville, known as the second capital of Queensland, is located in North Queensland and is the gateway to Magnetic Island and a great place to hire a campervan from. Located only 4 hours drive South of Cairns, Townsville is a popular stopover location for those travelling along the East Coast.
Townsville has many great attractions for all of the family, with the most popular being the The Reef HQ Aquarium. The Reef HQ is a research centre and aquarium that’s comprising of marine life and coral from the Great Barrier Reef and it’s also home to the Turtle Hospital. There is 3 hours free parking along the strand and 8 hour parking opposite the Reef HQ for a small fee, so you shouldn’t have a problem parking your camper.
With an impressive 13 km of beach front and 2.5 km purpose built promenade known as The Strand, Townsville is an ideal stopover for those who love to be by the ocean.
A short 20 min drive southeast of the city you will find the Billabong Sanctuary wildlife park. The Billabong Sanctuary wildlife park is home to koalas, wombats and crocodiles and you can get the opportunity to meet some of your favourite animals! The park has great facilities too, with a few cafes and restaurants to choose from, a lovely pool you can take a dip in, free WiFi, showers and plenty of free parking.
The Strand, located on the foreshore of Townsville, is a 2.5 km purpose built promenade with something for everyone. There is the Strand Water Park and a number of playgrounds available to use, making The Strand a great place to keep the little ones occupied for hours. You can also swim in the ocean or the rock pools, try your hand at paddle boarding or skydiving and the jetty is a great fishing location. The Strand boasts some incredible views and is home to a number of great coffee shops and restaurants, to keep the adults entertained too! As mentioned above, free parking is available for 3 hours at The Strand so you shouldnt have an issue parking your campervan.
If you decide to stop over in Townsville during your road trip, a trip to Magnetic Island is a must. The island itself has a beautiful national park where you can visit stunning sandy beaches and hike through picturequest walking trails. Geoffrey Bay is a stunning, sweeping beach and the perfect spot for snorkeling. Magnetic Island is easy to get to from the mainland, via a short 20-25 min ferry ride. It’s possible to take campervans on some of the ferries but it’s best to call ahead and check for height restrictions. Fantasea offer free secure parking to their ferry customers, if you would prefer to leave your camper on the mainland.
Skydiving is big in Townsville, with jumps available over The Strand or one of three beaches on Magnetic Island! It’s possible to book your skydive online or when you arrive to Townsville.
Townsville city sits on a coastline that runs east to west; this is different from other tropical towns on the coast that run north to south and subsequently, Townsville receives much more rain. The height of summer, January, is the hottest month with an average daily temperature of 28°C and the coldest is July at 20°C (the middle of winter). The winter season (June to August) mainly consists of warm days and cool nights. Although January is the hottest month, it’s also the wettest month with an average of 200mm of rain. Heavy downpours can occur at any time but are usually brief. Typically the weather in Townsville is great for holidays with the average amount of daily sunshine is 8.5 hours with a total of 121 days of clear skies each year. It’s worth noting that North Queensland is a target for cyclones and Townsville gets its fair share of them, usually occurring between November and May (cyclone season). The City of Townsville is well equipped to deal with the number of cyclones which tear through the region each year but it’s important that visitors remain alert over this period.
Get in touch today if you’re looking for a great deal on campervan rental in Townsville. We supply many vehicles ranging from 2 berth budget to 6 berth dulux and can help you find the perfect camper today.
- Rowes Bay Beachfront Holiday Park – beautiful beachfront outlook with picturesque views of Magnetic Island. Outdoor pool and BBQ facilities available onsite
- Coral Coast Tourist Park – a shady oasis for all travellers and is conveniently located within easy reach of the Townsville city centre
- BIG4 Walkabout Palms Townsville – very family friendly with resort style pool, jumping pillow, playground and pedal go-karts
- BIG4 Townsville Woodlands Holiday Park – only 16 km to the CBD, 1 km from the local shopping centre and only 10 minutes drive to the airport. There is mini golf onsite too
- Secura Lifestyle The Lakes Townsville – a tropical getaway in the heart of Townsville
- A Touch of Salt – contemporary Australian menu
- The Pier – excellent food and stunning view
- Shorehouse – a great place to enjoy cocktail and panoramic views across Cleveland Bay to Magnetic Island
- Juliette’s – incredible coffee and gelato
- The Seaview Hotel – serving up tasty wood fired pizza and pub grub in a casual space
- Strand Souvlaki Bar – known for great tasting mediterranean